Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thank You Miley

While many fans, with good reason mind you, are reeling in the disappointment of Miley's decision to pose for the photos in Vanity Fair, I say, "Thank You, Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus."

Why, you ask?

Two reasons.

First, they created an amazing, yet tragic teachable moment with Maddy.

Second, they just saved us a small fortune.

My values are clear. And if you know me, you know I am not afraid to put it out there.

I WILL NOT in good conscience support the career of a girl who talks out of both sides of her mouth.

What happen to all the publicity from the People magazine article that communicated her wholesome values and her grounded disposition? And the interviews in which Billy Ray and Miley prided themselves on the fact that she was going to steer clear of this kind of behavior? Wasn't she going to make it without selling out?

Too bad we'll never get a chance to find out!

Now, after the pictures are published and making headlines, Miley is sorry. She says she learned her lesson. That's convenient.

Well, we have a daughter to raise-a daughter that will not be taught that sex or the use of her body will be the way to success.

She will be raised with self respect and dignity. We will do all we can to insure that when she looks at herself in the mirror she will ALWAYS like what she sees. We will fight society to the death on this. When everyone else is gone and she's alone and the lights are out, Maddy will always like who she's with-herself.

No comments:

Walking in the Light

Wow! This year year has been a whirlwind to say the least. I am shocked we are near the half way point in February. Part of me wants to dance. If the start of the year is any indication of how it is going to go, I am happy it's flying by. I will usher in 2009 with bells and whistles.

Yet, I am humbly reminded that every day is a gift, and I need to walk in the Light. I need to let Him guide me through each day. I need to listen to His still, quiet voice...Yeah I know for me that's a stretch. I'm never still long enough to catch my breath.

As I write this, our dear neighbor of ten years is fighting stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I am awed by the faith she has in God. I am humbled by the fight she has within her to beat the demon we know as cancer. Hunter, in his six year old wisdom said to me, "Mommy, why are you sad? We are just going to pray and Jesus is going to make her better." The faith of a child and the living testimony of one who is dwelling in God's amazing grace reminds me to walk daily in the His unfailing light.