Monday, April 21, 2008

Don't Tell Me it's Just a Game!

Hunter has successfully shocked Paul. He (Hunter) is actually more competitive than me. Hard to believe, but true nonetheless.

Yesterday, in the bliss of the warm spring weather, Paul and Hunter played some one-on-one soccer in the backyard. I observed in preoccupied silence while I pulled the grass that is growing everywhere but the actual lawn.

There was no blood shed, but I am convinced that Hunter would have gone for the jugular given the opportunity. Every time Paul scored or out played Hunter there was a "do over" or it didn't count because he was in a "T game".

Paul has long since stopped playing "nice" in order to build Hunter's confidence. Yeah, confidence-check.

We play to win-chess, board games, sports games you name it. We feel that Hunter could benefit from-how should I put this-a little humility. Yesterday was one such example.

I finally spoke up from my silence. Hunter was shocked I even knew what was going on.

"Good grief Hunter, you're more competitive than me. It's just a game."

His eyes blazed with rage. I was sure that his head was going to start spinning. He half yelled, half roared, "Don't tell me it's JUST a game!"

And to think, while studying fact and opinion tonight with Ms. Tricia, Maddy said that it was a fact that her brother was great. She told Ms. Tricia she could prove it. Good for you sweetie. Someone in the family has to be optimistic.

Meanwhile, Paul and I will be working through Anger Management with our 6 year old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SOOO funny!!! I love little boys who show signs of being little men!!

Walking in the Light

Wow! This year year has been a whirlwind to say the least. I am shocked we are near the half way point in February. Part of me wants to dance. If the start of the year is any indication of how it is going to go, I am happy it's flying by. I will usher in 2009 with bells and whistles.

Yet, I am humbly reminded that every day is a gift, and I need to walk in the Light. I need to let Him guide me through each day. I need to listen to His still, quiet voice...Yeah I know for me that's a stretch. I'm never still long enough to catch my breath.

As I write this, our dear neighbor of ten years is fighting stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I am awed by the faith she has in God. I am humbled by the fight she has within her to beat the demon we know as cancer. Hunter, in his six year old wisdom said to me, "Mommy, why are you sad? We are just going to pray and Jesus is going to make her better." The faith of a child and the living testimony of one who is dwelling in God's amazing grace reminds me to walk daily in the His unfailing light.