Friday, April 11, 2008

PreApproved

According to Merriam Webster, the definition of preapproved is "to gain favorable opinion beforehand; the act of obtaining approval first. In my opinion this seems straight forward. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one is preapproved, one is already accepted.

Apparently not in the lovely suburb of Highlands Ranch, Colorado.

I'm pretty well versed on the Highlands Ranch Homeowners Association "Rules". I use the word rules lightly however, as the adherence to these rules appears to the outside observer to be random at best.

According to said rules, homeowners are to paint their houses every five years. Well, we are approaching six. Time to paint.

Nevermind that there are houses in our neighborhood that have not been painted since they were constructed slightly over 10 years ago. You do the math.

Again with the lack of adherence to the "rules."

The "rules" also say that you have to get your colors approved. I'm sorry-have you seen some of the color schemes. Yeah, not a fan.

But, nevertheless, I being the "rule" follower that I am want to have my ducks in a row. So, I called the architectural department to clarify the process and determine what the procedure was. (Last time we painted, we didn't change colors, hence no need to get approved.)

This time we want to change colors. Thus, we have to go through the long drawn out approval process.

But wait...maybe not...I learned during my phone conversation that there are PREAPPROVED colors. THANK GOD...

The administrative assistant patiently and dutifully explained what I needed to do to get approved or offered the colors that were PREAPPROVED.

She did clarify that I was not limited by the PREAPPROVED colors, of course. Oh, of course. The thought that PREAPPROVED colors were available thrilled me, as available time to complete the process for approval is limited at best.

It was what she said next that caused me to pull the phone away from my ear and stare at it in utter disbelief. "If you select the PREAPPROVED colors, you need to submit an approval form for approval."

I'm sure those of you that know my ability to avoid confrontation know what happened next.

Oh yes I did.

I launched into a dissertation regarding the definition of PREAPPROVAL. Her response was timid and confused, "Well, uh, we still need to know what you're doing." Really? Huh, I don't recall moving into the twilight zone of George Orwell's 1984.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Janet, look at it as HR Homeowners' Assn. doing their best to boost the economy be creating and maintaining useless, superfluous positions. That way, they can send their kids to Sylvan to learn what the publicly-funded schools aren't teaching them! It's all COOL...
Sandy L

Walking in the Light

Wow! This year year has been a whirlwind to say the least. I am shocked we are near the half way point in February. Part of me wants to dance. If the start of the year is any indication of how it is going to go, I am happy it's flying by. I will usher in 2009 with bells and whistles.

Yet, I am humbly reminded that every day is a gift, and I need to walk in the Light. I need to let Him guide me through each day. I need to listen to His still, quiet voice...Yeah I know for me that's a stretch. I'm never still long enough to catch my breath.

As I write this, our dear neighbor of ten years is fighting stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I am awed by the faith she has in God. I am humbled by the fight she has within her to beat the demon we know as cancer. Hunter, in his six year old wisdom said to me, "Mommy, why are you sad? We are just going to pray and Jesus is going to make her better." The faith of a child and the living testimony of one who is dwelling in God's amazing grace reminds me to walk daily in the His unfailing light.