Thursday, March 13, 2008

You Can't Handle the Truth

Well, we experienced our first major "oh dear" this week in parenting. Those of you that know Hunter are keenly aware of his...how should I put this...intense behavior.

Competitive-yes. Type A-oh yeah. Focused-absolutely. Easily swayed by others-not so much. Leader-usually. Strong sense of Justice-second only to...well...probably God.

Being that he is the younger brother of a relatively popular girl at school, Hunter enjoys the pleasure of playing with the older boys at school during recess. Given his apparent natural ability in sports, the boys generally welcome him to the game.

Great you think...Yeah not so much. Especially with the tween behavior that the girls in fourth grade display at a moments notice, and Hunter's absolute impatience with the interruption this creates in the lunch time football game. Hunter is down to business. Girls are ridiculous and annoying. The fourth grade boys, however, don't mind the interruption.

Hunter is quite sure the boys have lost their minds when they T the game (For those of unfamiliar with T that's short for Time Out) for the annoying girls interrupting the game. This occurred, as far as he was concerned one too many times this week. So to grab attention, my precious, innocent, little baby boy dropped a new catch phrase to end the madness.

Oh he grabbed attention alright. Undivided attention from Dad. Amazingly none of the students in the game were phased by the phrase. They were essentially unmoved. We learned of the tragic episode via his honest little broken heart. Thank God for that, but Mommy is still in horrified shock. I can't handle the truth.

No comments:

Walking in the Light

Wow! This year year has been a whirlwind to say the least. I am shocked we are near the half way point in February. Part of me wants to dance. If the start of the year is any indication of how it is going to go, I am happy it's flying by. I will usher in 2009 with bells and whistles.

Yet, I am humbly reminded that every day is a gift, and I need to walk in the Light. I need to let Him guide me through each day. I need to listen to His still, quiet voice...Yeah I know for me that's a stretch. I'm never still long enough to catch my breath.

As I write this, our dear neighbor of ten years is fighting stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I am awed by the faith she has in God. I am humbled by the fight she has within her to beat the demon we know as cancer. Hunter, in his six year old wisdom said to me, "Mommy, why are you sad? We are just going to pray and Jesus is going to make her better." The faith of a child and the living testimony of one who is dwelling in God's amazing grace reminds me to walk daily in the His unfailing light.