Monday, March 3, 2008

Project number two-Colorado History

It is officially done! Maddy completed the very extensive project assigned to all 4th graders as a sort of right of passage. I now know more about Colorado history than, frankly, I ever wanted to know. Don't get me wrong, Colorado as a state is growing on me. Granted it took a while-10 years, 3 months and 14 days-but who's counting. I just think a nice little report with a poster of the symbols would suffice. Oh no!

Maddy wrote 3 different papers on 3 different topics, made a time line from 300 A.D. to 2008, wrote and illustrated a poem, charted a map, created a shadow box of the 8 ecosystems, created a board game (eat your heart out Milton Bradley), researched the big horn sheep, made a poster board of 13 state symbols and illustrated a travel brochure to one of our fine travel destinations.
I'm sorry but fine travel destinations? WE"RE LAND LOCKED! HELLO?!

Did you know that Grand Lake is the western gateway to Rocky Mountain National Forest? The Columbine was chosen as our state flower to represent the blue sky, the snow and the gold. Oops sorry.

She really did an amazing job. We only had two melt downs. Those resulted from the fact that she is sure she has the meanest parents in America. We wouldn't do her project for her. Can you imagine? Oh sure Paul held the paper to the light so she could trace things and supervised when she used sharp objects. But she had to do the reading, researching, and writing. She had to plan how it would look and what she wanted to use to decorate her posters and pictures. Why you ask? So she would feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.

Oh, yeah and so I could start the bidding for all you poor souls who have yet to experience 4th grade projects at a decent price. Do I hear $50? It looks great and you can tell an actual student did the work.

No comments:

Walking in the Light

Wow! This year year has been a whirlwind to say the least. I am shocked we are near the half way point in February. Part of me wants to dance. If the start of the year is any indication of how it is going to go, I am happy it's flying by. I will usher in 2009 with bells and whistles.

Yet, I am humbly reminded that every day is a gift, and I need to walk in the Light. I need to let Him guide me through each day. I need to listen to His still, quiet voice...Yeah I know for me that's a stretch. I'm never still long enough to catch my breath.

As I write this, our dear neighbor of ten years is fighting stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I am awed by the faith she has in God. I am humbled by the fight she has within her to beat the demon we know as cancer. Hunter, in his six year old wisdom said to me, "Mommy, why are you sad? We are just going to pray and Jesus is going to make her better." The faith of a child and the living testimony of one who is dwelling in God's amazing grace reminds me to walk daily in the His unfailing light.