Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Benefits of Pet Ownership

For years Paul and I have gone back and forth over becoming pet owners. One year, I want a cute cuddly puppy. I come to my senses and realize, given my need for order and structure pet ownership may not be a good fit. Then, the transition occurs and Paul decides a pet might be a great addition to the family.

We have never agreed simultaneously. Until now...

Gathering the mail one day recently, I received my copy of Wonder Time. It's a great magazine with articles about home and family. One article in particular caught my eye-"Why your children need a dog."

I read the article. I was obviously the target audience. It contained five simple facts that made complete sense. The arguments were logical. They lacked emotional charge. As I read I realized that my children could benefit from the responsibility that pet ownership demands. I became compelled to bring up the topic with Paul.

I was looking for a sign that this was a bad idea. I knew that Paul would shoot the idea down because he wants a golden retriever or a lab. Well, not only is our house not conducive to such a large dog, Hunter and I will suffocate from asthma issues while Paul and Maddy will tear up and sneeze due to allergies. To my surprise, Paul thought that it was a great idea. He thought the kids were ready to have the responsibility and pleasure a puppy would bring.

So we embarked on the journey to pet ownership. After much research, we decided on a Bichon Frise. Easter morning the kids received the news that on or after May 18th, Koda will join our family.

Any thoughts on pet insurance?

No comments:

Walking in the Light

Wow! This year year has been a whirlwind to say the least. I am shocked we are near the half way point in February. Part of me wants to dance. If the start of the year is any indication of how it is going to go, I am happy it's flying by. I will usher in 2009 with bells and whistles.

Yet, I am humbly reminded that every day is a gift, and I need to walk in the Light. I need to let Him guide me through each day. I need to listen to His still, quiet voice...Yeah I know for me that's a stretch. I'm never still long enough to catch my breath.

As I write this, our dear neighbor of ten years is fighting stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I am awed by the faith she has in God. I am humbled by the fight she has within her to beat the demon we know as cancer. Hunter, in his six year old wisdom said to me, "Mommy, why are you sad? We are just going to pray and Jesus is going to make her better." The faith of a child and the living testimony of one who is dwelling in God's amazing grace reminds me to walk daily in the His unfailing light.