Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I Lost Two Gems Today

Today at pick up in the infamous kiss and go lane, Hunter got in the car and announced in utter indignation that he lost two gems today. He said it as though the horror of it was too much to bear. As though shock and awe should have filled my soul. What-ever!

Those of you close to us know that we absolutely adore his teacher. She is by far the best teacher in Douglas County, aside from our Saysa of course. If she has a favorite, you would never be able to tell. She is characterized by fairness and consistency. Knowing this you realize that there is NO WAY she randomly took not one but two gems in one day.

Hunter claimed that he lost one because his group was too loud during writing groups. Absolutely the truth. We are quite sure whatever Hunter decides to do for a career it most certainly will require talking. I am not sure the child takes a breath the first 15 minutes of his day.

Hunter is quite possibly in the range of gifted. Saysa says absolutely, I say then he better get it together. He may test in the 98th percentile, but to whom much is given much is required-especially if you're my kid!

I am 100% sure that given his ability to rationalize, he believed he honored our family rule about the truth-That is a entirely different blog. He told the truth about how he lost one of the gems. So, he was off scott free on the other-again WHAT-EVER!

The second he claimed he lost because he brought a hard ball to school, and they are not allowed. He proceeded to tell me that he and another boy lost the gem because they had the hard ball at recess.

Well, I felt horrible. I had given him permission to bring the ball to school. It is small like a baseball but soft for T-ball. So I understood how the teacher mistook it for a baseball. Taking responsibility for my decision, I assured him that I would email the teacher and explain it so that the boys could have the gems back.

This got the, what I like to call, Hunter guilt look. I won't describe it. I need it in my mommy pocket. SO I responded with, "Hunter, if I send this email to the teacher and get a response that says you lost the gem for something other than bringing a hard ball to school, you will get consequences for lying to me. Do you understand?

Apparently, I was clear. Crystal clear. Suffice it to say we won't be bringing any sports equipment to school for awhile. But we avoided undivided attention from Dad again!

No comments:

Walking in the Light

Wow! This year year has been a whirlwind to say the least. I am shocked we are near the half way point in February. Part of me wants to dance. If the start of the year is any indication of how it is going to go, I am happy it's flying by. I will usher in 2009 with bells and whistles.

Yet, I am humbly reminded that every day is a gift, and I need to walk in the Light. I need to let Him guide me through each day. I need to listen to His still, quiet voice...Yeah I know for me that's a stretch. I'm never still long enough to catch my breath.

As I write this, our dear neighbor of ten years is fighting stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I am awed by the faith she has in God. I am humbled by the fight she has within her to beat the demon we know as cancer. Hunter, in his six year old wisdom said to me, "Mommy, why are you sad? We are just going to pray and Jesus is going to make her better." The faith of a child and the living testimony of one who is dwelling in God's amazing grace reminds me to walk daily in the His unfailing light.