Saturday, February 16, 2008

Romeo, Romeo where for art thou, Romeo?

Fifteen years ago this month in a vineyard at the base of Stag's Leap in Napa, California, Paul asked me to marry him. The day started with a rose on the dashboard and a personalized cassette-yes, I said cassette-of romantic songs for the drive up to Michael's house in Napa. We went for a walk under the stars in the middle of the vineyard. He got down on one knee in the mud and told me all the reasons why he loved me. Then he asked me to marry him. We celebrated at the restaurant in the Domain Chandon winery. My Romeo was there.

Fourteen years ago this month, we were married. The past fourteen years have been filled with excitement, joy, sorrow, laughter, frustration, fun, humor, fear, anxiety, stress, health, happiness, anticipation, calm, and more. We were blessed with not one but two healthy, happy, beautiful children. Above all the years have been filled with love. We have come through many major life events-Paul's broken back, Hunter's life threatening illness, the move to Colorado. The list goes on. My Romeo was there every step of the way.

We have a weekend getaway planned to celebrate our anniversary and Paul's 40th birthday. We will reminisce about the years, eat good food, see a movie, go to the spa and you know what-my Romeo will be there!

Romeo, Romeo where for art thou Romeo? Right next to me of course.

No comments:

Walking in the Light

Wow! This year year has been a whirlwind to say the least. I am shocked we are near the half way point in February. Part of me wants to dance. If the start of the year is any indication of how it is going to go, I am happy it's flying by. I will usher in 2009 with bells and whistles.

Yet, I am humbly reminded that every day is a gift, and I need to walk in the Light. I need to let Him guide me through each day. I need to listen to His still, quiet voice...Yeah I know for me that's a stretch. I'm never still long enough to catch my breath.

As I write this, our dear neighbor of ten years is fighting stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I am awed by the faith she has in God. I am humbled by the fight she has within her to beat the demon we know as cancer. Hunter, in his six year old wisdom said to me, "Mommy, why are you sad? We are just going to pray and Jesus is going to make her better." The faith of a child and the living testimony of one who is dwelling in God's amazing grace reminds me to walk daily in the His unfailing light.